About Me

My photo
I've been a model for 18 yrs, and actor for 16, and have been on TV on various networks in SE Asia for 3 yrs. Taking into account that i took over a year off to have a baby - having 6 shows under my belt since then is no small feat.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Art Makes The World Go 'Round...

On September 22, my kids got a fantastic opportunity: to go and sample an art class at WOWArt.

If you've seen my previous posts about WOWArt, then you already know what this post is going to be about. But, if not - then let me begin by saying... that art makes the world go 'round. We do have history, and math, and all sorts of things we could study that do not in any remote way become "art", but if you've ever studied sociology (or have or been around children) you'll find that one of the first ways besides imitative speech that we express ourselves, is in art.

I have lived in asia for 6 yrs now, and one thing i have learned is that art is not a high priority in the school system out here, nor in the culture at large. While every local parent hopes that their child will become a lawyer or a doctor, or a banker - the one thing they really hope they don't become... is an artist.

But i digress: it is within art that we find ourselves... that inner voice that drives us, guides us to things we like... and don't like. Art is that intangible thing that doesn't depend one iota on if you like it or not, whether its beautiful or not... art is solely based on emotion.

Perhaps having feelings is a liability for some, but for me - it is essential to express that connection (or disconnection) with your fellow man. Painting, sculpting, drawing, music... even poetry are all ways that we as human beings discover how to express our emotions in a tangible way, and is an essential part of our education that if oftentimes sorely neglected. Art is just as necessary as math and science... I'm a big believer in the arts, and will expose my children to it as much as i can - as a parent, if its not going to included in the curriculum, then its up to me to learn all i can about art, so i may in turn help them discover it as well. It is my duty as a parent, and i take it seriously.

And now that I have clouded your minds about my ode to art - let me tell a little about what my kids got up to at the place we love to go: WOWArt.

We arrived promptly for our scheduled class at 2:30p - but OOPS! Its snack time, so we had a delay of about 15 mins b/c my son Ewan wanted to finish his cookies. Ah, ok - very well. Eat up son, but lets hurry ok?

Our teacher was a sweet young lady who spoke Malay as well as English. Good thing too, just in case Tia, my daughter might need it. But not to worry, what my Tia lacks in communication skills, she makes up by being a sharp as a whip observer. Today's class was Pointillism, and although i must profess that I don't know what that stands for, i was eager for my kids to experience it!

Pointilism is s a technique of painting in which small, distinct dots of pure color are applied in patterns to form an image. (taken from Wikipedia) Van Gogh was a frequent user of the technique, as were several others that if you see one is a famous image. 



Like this one: made famous in the movie FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
actually called "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte"by Georges Seurat

As soon as Tia entered the room, she was ready to paint! As soon as Ewan entered, he was looking for an escape. Oh well. Can't win 'em all i guess. So while my son circled the room like a trapped cat, Tia and I sat down to work.

So she began with a painted background...


Tia chose blue...

Tia is what i like to call a "Tomboy in a Tutu" - she's so dainty and lady-like, but she's a tough no nonsense kind of gal too. She got to work right away. She loves pink, so to set off her particular design we chose the contrasting color of blue. But she didn't make a fuss. 




Then we had to dry it.


I can do it all by myself!

Then we had to draw the outline of what we wanted to add the colored dots to: a flower. Simple, elegant, easy, right? Well once the teacher and Tia began to roll the colored balls i realized - this design was going to take a lot of modeling clay!



Rolling the balls of clay...

By this time, Ewan decided he would like to hold the paintbrush... and to swirl it about the paper. It finally grabbed his attention from the fact that he couldn't find a way out of the room - well, not one that his mama wasn't going to support anyway...


Ewan finds the joy of painting in a strange room.




Tia gets into her project...

My son meanwhile thinks that the best way for him to complete his project is from a perch on my back. I oblige. As if he's the only quirky one in this family - whatever!





Yay! He did it!

The kids kept dotting and rolling, and rolling and dotting... and in the end they had a great time, an hour out of their play day was spent in an enrichment activity that doesn't begin with an "i" and ends with a "pad", and mama was satisfied that not only did they learn something, but she did too - about her kids.

WOWArt is located at 200 Upper Thomson Road #01-10 Thomson Imperial Court. They have all kinds of classes that your kids can do, and even do holiday camps as well! I have found them to be an excellent distraction for the kids and an enjoyable activity as well. Oh, by the way...



This is Ewan's Car - although to me could be an elephant as well...


Tia is proud of her beautiful pink flower... and so am I.

To learn more about WOWART check out their website HERE.

They are also on FACEBOOK too! 

Watch this space for more updates on WOWArt from specials deals to information on their camps!



No comments:

Post a Comment