About Me

My photo
I've been a model for 18 yrs, and actor for 16, and have been on TV on various networks in SE Asia for 3 yrs. Taking into account that i took over a year off to have a baby - having 6 shows under my belt since then is no small feat.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Corporate Sponsored Love Day!

Yesterday was Valentine's Day - and as usual, oli and i didn't do anything out of the ordinary. There were no cards, no flowers, no sweets - nothing. Tho i did think about buying him a multi charger for all of his electronics. What? Its a practical gift.


Or what about this? This looks practical.



I don't think i've ever celebrated Valentine's Day. In elementary school it became a dreaded, even torturous affair, as you make these little receptacles out of empty kleenex boxes.  You went through the whole week leading up to it covering the box in construction paper, and little heart cut-outs, glitter, and lots of glue. Then the teacher tells you - oh, this is your little mailbox. Valentine's Day comes and you are given the hour before you go home to roam around, visit with your friends and deliver little homemade Valentine notes to whoever you wanted. So i recall sitting there with my punch and cookies, while everyone roamed around to talk to their friends in little groups. I didn't belong to a group. I didn't have any friends. So the whole puzzling affair would end with me copying my spelling words and watching the clock. Once i would get home, my dad would always have a small box of mixed chocolates for me. I admit i don't think i fully appreciated it at the time, but thinking back on it - man those chocolates were sweet!


Chocolates like these - and no that's not me in this pic.



As an emerging teen and young adult, i was so over the whole Valentine's thing that i organized the first Anti-Valentine's Day Party for my single friends (yes, by this time I'd managed to bribe a few people to be my friend - just joking. But not really.) I drew up the invite, a woman holding a bow and arrow sitting down with an arrow through a hanging heart on the wall with a simple sign stuck to it: Love Sucks. It promised to be so fun that a girlfriend of mine who wanted to come but had a boyfriend (the prerequisite was you had to be single) was made by us to break up with her boy for the day. And she did. We managed to have a riot, and even though on the night itself i was surprised by an earnest suitor who showed up at my house with a single rose wishing me a Happy Valentine's day (thanks, Barry!) he drove me to my happy singles party just down the street. What ensued was a raging water balloon fight, a cupcake fight, and chasing a rival single boys party around the town like maniacs with shaving cream and toilet paper. It was good, clean, wholesome, American small town fun.



Being in my second adult relationship for a little over 6 yrs - we have NEVER celebrated Valentine's Day. The reason being we celebrate our getting together anniversary on the 9th. Besides, in Singapore we dont' feel like going to crowded restaurants, enduring terrible service, ok food, and other such public displays of affection. Its a sweet thought and i get it - but honestly, i feel like having this day to remind you to show affection and gentleness to your partner is a cop-out. Everyday should be Valentine's Day.

So remember this: if you are single, there is no shame in going to the movies alone, dining alone, or shopping alone - i did this many times myself. I have always felt like you have to know who you and be comfortable with who you are before you can know and be comfortable with someone else.

And if you are a part of a couple: every day should be Valentine's Day. And make it creative - go Zorba! Or bungee jumping. Or street luging. Dont' just do the whole flowers/chocolates/dinner route.

as for me? i only want chocolates from my dad. But if my husband brings them - i would wonder what he was apologizing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment